- Determine relative impact on listener adoption from different promotional techniques
- Identify successful promotional techniques by market size/format and drive listenership with promotional campaigns
Techniques to Consider
On air promotions (Jock Liners, Native Advertising, Sweepers, Promos)
- Example Jock Liner:
Your browser does not support the audio element.
- Example Jock Liner:
On air promotions with Dot giveaways
Before a listener can use your custom skill, they need to enable it on their Alexa device. It is important to educate listeners on how to enable and access the skill in your promotional materials. Use Alexa utterances that have been expressly approved by Amazon or are from the "Things To Try" section of the Amazon Alexa app. Please ensure utterances function properly with your device. We’ve compiled specific recommendations below on phrasing best practices and general education for your promotional materials.
Phrasing Best Practices:
- Teach listeners they have to enable your skill prior to opening.
- Alexa, enable invocation name skill.
- Example: You can listen to XAPP FM live from your Amazon echo. Just ask your Amazon device to enable XAPP FM skill.
- Teach listeners how to open your skill after enabling it
- Alexa, open invocation name.
- Example: Once you enable the XAPP FM skill, just ask your echo or dot device to "open XAPP FM" and start listening.
- Understanding the “Alexa” Word in Promo Material
- Potential to wake up listeners’ devices
- Market to the device - enable for the consumer
Test Design Considerations
Use cross-channel marketing promotions to measure initial listener adoption lift followed by incremental lift for subsequent techniques. Apply multiple techniques in sequence to account for initial impact versus incremental impact. Isolate the techniques by a few days to differentiate impact and normalize for the day of the week each begins. Finally, experiment with isolated techniques as compared to an integrated approach where all of the techniques are used in concert. At the conclusion of the promotional tests, identify which approaches generated activity from listeners.
Sample Promotional Test Campaigns
Copy of Single Station
|Property||Week 1||Week 2||Week 3||Week 4||Week 5||Week 6|
|Station||Liners||Native On-Air Advertising||Promos||Website||Sweepers|
Copy of Multi-Station
|Format||Week 1||Week 2||Week 3||Week 4||Week 5||Week 6|
|Music||Liners||Native On-Air Advertising||Promos||Website||Sweepers|
|Sports||Liners||Native On-Air Advertising||Promos||Website||Sweepers|
|News/Talk||Liners||Native On-Air Advertising||Promos||Website||Sweepers|
|Hybrid||Liners||Native On-Air Advertising||Promos||Website||Sweepers|
Amazon’s general rule of thumb is to avoid adding additional advertising to their platform; However, there are still monetization opportunities to sell sponsorship within a promotional spot for a skill to play over the air or sell sponsorship within pre-roll before a stream starts playing. Here are examples for each:
Promo Sponsorship Played Over Radio
- Find your favorite station playing the best of today’s hits on your Amazon device by enabling XAPP FM’s skill brought to you by Higbie Ford Motor Cars.
Pre-Roll Sponsorship Played Within Skill
- Thanks for tuning into XAPP FM. Playing the best of today’s hits. Brought to you by Higbie Ford Motor Cars.
Please sign in to leave a comment.